Wednesday 5 May 2010

Kate Davis and Faith Wilding- The Loch Long: How Do We Go On From Here?

At the start it seems confusing whether this is two people in a group show or a collaboration on all the works. By the end I decided that it was the former. I was irritable when I went to see this as I was visiting lots of galleries and was concerned about time and as a result I decided that some of the works at the start were too wordy and demanding. In the projection room, through a silver curtain which promised something special, I waited in darkness, enjoying the idea that the projection might never start, a test of my patience. When it did start it also suffered from my lack of patience as it spent too long with things that were too ephemeral and it required a lot of your imagination to find create a thread of narrative, which seemed to be the format it was presented in. In the main room however I was much happier with things. There were exciting objects like two huge science beakers with dyes and a piece of white muslin acting as a bridge between the two, soaking up the dyes so that they would, you imagine, meet in the middle and merge. the dye colours matched the colour choices of the drawings on the walls which were all pinks and greens, delicate lines creating a balance between body parts and plants. My favourite piece was an old film projector in which the film had been twisted to be re-fed in so that the film was looped. It was fascinating to look at the projector, as well as the looped film. The film itself was also very beautiful; a hand with long spindly fingers moving with such purpose that it looked like it had a strange self awareness. It seemed to mime different actions as if it was cleaning the wood surface below but it moved so smoothly that it seemed almost certain that it wasnt touching the surface, only pretending to. The film seemed a whole world in itself but it was let down slightly by the disctraction of the projector itself, and I found it hard deciding which one to look at at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment